Indo-European Languages Forum

DNGHU Association, Modern Indo-European & Proto-Indo-European language, and IE languages

Similarities to Latvian and Lithuanian

Comments about every aspect of the Indo-European language revival, about the Indo-European language Association, its activities, membership and members, your proposals, etc.

Similarities to Latvian and Lithuanian

Postby Mithridates » Tue May 27, 2008 8:36 am

I'm curious whether there is any data available on IME vocabulary compared to English, Latvian and Lithuanian, that is, how much more similar IME is to those two than English is. If this data is available I'm curious what the Latvian and Lithuanian governments would make of it. Finland for example has been actively involved in promotion of Latin so it seems that it's not beyond a government to support language revival projects.

I tried a bit of this myself using the example phrases on the site but I'd prefer something more along the lines of a Swadesh list (individual vocab as opposed to phrases).

Thanks.
Mithridates

Re: Similarities to Latvian and Lithuanian

Postby indoeuropean » Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 am

Qeime Mithridates:
I'm curious whether there is any data available on IME vocabulary compared to English, Latvian and Lithuanian, that is, how much more similar IME is to those two than English is.

There are Swadesh lists comparing English with Latvian (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix: ... adesh_list) and with Lithuanian (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix: ... adesh_list). I cannot find any Proto-Indo-European one, but there are lots of vocabulary comparisons out there, including our grammar and Oxford's Proto-Indo-European manual. None of them, I guess, is exactly what you are looking for. We prepared e.g. a tiny leaflet for the Forom des Langues de Toulouse, although - because of space requirements - we left a "Balto-Slavic" column, instead of separated Baltic and Slavic columns:

indoeuropean.jpg
Indo-European proto-languages - word comparison
indoeuropean.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 9406 times

If this data is available I'm curious what the Latvian and Lithuanian governments would make of it. Finland for example has been actively involved in promotion of Latin so it seems that it's not beyond a government to support language revival projects.

I don't know about the Lithuanian or Latvian government objectives, but Finland used Latin to translate official news about the EU - as far as I know - just to end the discussions with the German government, because, while Finland held the EU Presidency, official documents were only translated into English and French... It was, according to Finnish officials, just "a weekly roundup of news in classical Latin", which "attracted much curiosity", but wasn't in any case a language policy Finland would like to follow; it was something more like "I'll translate EU documents to the language I want, you #$^%@* Germans! 8) ". What reveals, in fact, how 'good' and 'generally accepted' the current linguistic policy actually is for the member states...

I contacted personally the EU language commissioner years ago (Jan Figel, I think), when we won the University prize for the project (2006 then), and he replied saying that the EU was "not looking for a common language, however good one might think it is. The current objective of the EU is to support multilingualism". So, if we want the European Union to support one common official language, then we'll have to make such proposals, as you say, to the individual EU member states, because commissioners aren't there to make their own policies or to change anything at all, but to make an administrative work following the policies of the member states. That was another reason to create an Association, instead of keeping our language revival work in private groups.

Anyway, I think I'll prepare a complete Swadesh list in the future (or request that it be made), with Proto-Indo-European and other European languages, to show it to different EU Presidency holders. I don't think I'll wait until 2013 to contact the Lithuanian government, though... (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency ... 07_onwards) :wink: .

And, by the way, I looked for the etymology of the name "Mithridates" and its Indo-European translation: http://dnghu.org/Indo-European-Languages/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=201 :D
Chair - Indo-European Language Association - http://dnghu.org/
indoeuropean

Postby emidon518 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:16 am

Latvian and Lithuanian indeed are quite similar. I (a Latvian) can listen to a Lithuanian conversation or radio and get the main idea of what they are talking about, however without studying it would be absolutely impossible to say anything meaningful in Lithuanian..............
emidon518

Postby kirke » Mon May 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Lithuanian is closer to PIE even more than Latin or Sanskrit was. Some words are still almost identical.
kirke

Postby jackie15 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:15 am

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will locate that extremely useful
jackie15

Postby xoftmade » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 am

Xoftmade offers shared, business, dedicated web hosting solutions, web development and domain registration services in Pakistan. We offer lowest prices for hosting and website development.
xoftmade

Return to General Forum - Indo-European Language Association